Home Forums Player Forums Old PC

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tigerlime
    Player

With the new update, I thought yay. Because there was a fix for the AMD bugs. So I looked into it and such. Downloaded the driver and installed it, but it said I don’t have to right drivers. So I read a bit on the comments there. Then went to the AMD page directly. There I Downloaded the auto driver update thingy. And it said that there aren’t any drivers for me. After looking a bit, it seems like they are in a different driver category all together. And my graphic card number isn’t even in the featured list. So no yay for the AMD bug fixes. I didn’t know my pc was that old… It still works with all the games (Except Tropico, and just because of one small number difference in direct x support). This pc is only 3 or 4 years old. And it still works with all games. The only solution is to not use the graphic options and get used to not seeing some items. That’s the most annoying one. Everything else doesn’t bother me.

Rammy
    Owner

Did you try other modern OpenGL games or games in OpenGL mode?
    I’ve had a computer with an AMD Radeon graphic adapter and it produced the exact same errors that you had (problems with clouds and light, not displaying objects, faulty tiles,..; everything exactly the same). After installing this Guru3D-package, those bugs were gone for good and even the fps went up a little.

That shows pretty well that it’s a driver error. And driver issues with AMD cards are no secret. Maybe there is another driver for your specific model out there somewhere…? If you search, be sure to include “OpenGL“.

Tigerlime
    Player

Hmm…

I’m not sure about other games with modern OpenGL. Most of the time I played indie games. I’d have to look if there is a game with a modern OpenGL mode. Do you know one? Doesn’t really matter what game, just to test.

I will try and look around for a driver for my card with OpenGL. The card that I got is a
    ATI Radeon HD 4670. I’m also using an iMac with Bootcamp (Windows 7). But all those details are in another post of mine.

I will check if I find something, but I’m no expert when it comes to drivers and all those technical things related to them. I generally go to the manufacturer webpages and use the auto driver search to update my drivers every time I think I need to. Will see what I find on Google.

btw, what version of OpenGL should I be looking for?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Tigerlime.
    Tigerlime
    Player

I got OpenGL 3.3 according to this program:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20141110/gpu-caps-viewer-1-22-0-released/

Seems like I can also demo other OpenGL versions to see how it works? Not sure, but am gonna fiddle around with it.

The demos for other OpenGL require certain cards. I can run all except the highest one, which is 4.0. Though the demos only have 3.X requirements or lower for the other ones. For the 4.X I’d need a Radeon 5000+

ZeroInFo56
    Player

Minecraft is a good game to play to test your OpenGL capabilities, however it now only supports OpenGL4.0 and higher.

If you have ATI, you can look up the ATI Catalyst and run it on your machine. I used it a couple years ago when someone gave me an older computer with an ATI Radeon Graphics card, and it worked wonders for me, I spent hours and hours trying to figure it out before I found the catalyst.

Tigerlime
    Player

Actually, I found a ATI Catalys on an Minecraft forum. It’s older though and said something about OpenGL 2.0. But the thing is compatible with Radeon 5xxx, 4xxx, 3xxx and others. I just hope it doesn’t kill my PC since it seems to be an older driver. If I’m not around for a while, then you will know why. lol

Tigerlime
    Player

Installed it, didn’t seem to have done much, other than Install some control panels and such. Was in the game, no change. Will restart my PC and see if that did something. Also, I saw that the control panel thingy got an OpenGL settings with Triple buffering. Don’t know, maybe I try that out next after the restart.

Tried restart, nothing.
    Tried Triple buffering, nothing.

Zero, did you change anything on that Catalyst thingy? Also, where did you get that Catalyst?

I’m looking in the Catalyst thingy, and I found this:

OpenGL 6.14… Now I’m confused… I thought I had 3.3… Maybe the install did upgrade it? But I have the same problems…

Tigerlime
    Player

I went through all the options in the Catalyst thingy. And used the best settings for quality. But nothing changed in the game. There weren’t that many settings to begin with for that program. Which is good for me. lol

I set the options back to normal. I don’t like messing around with graphic card settings and such. Don’t want to break them.

I will look for more info on OpenGL and my card on the net.

I’m a noob! In that Minecraft forum someone mentioned to first uninstall the current drivers and then install that one there… I didn’t do that. lol Will try that now. But I dislike uninstalling drivers… If I’m not around, you will know that my PC was killed.

Tigerlime
    Player

Uninstalled all the ATI drivers and then installed the drivers from that webpage. No changes to the game. Changed the settings to max like before, again no changes. I read on that forum that there are other ways. I will try them out now.

Changed monitor refresh rate (someone mentioned it fixed his problem with Minecraft). I only had 2 options anyway, 59Hz and 60Hz. lol Didn’t work with the game.

Tigerlime
    Player

Success!

It’s not 100% but it works much better.

I installed a Catalyst thingy from AMD webpage directly. But I’m not sure if I got the right one… Because it is kinda confusing.

The auto update checker doesn’t work with me, since the card I got isn’t supported anymore. Which is kinda stupid… So I have to manually look for it. And the thing is… It’s confusing. I got an iMac so an Apple card, and that’s displayed there. But they only list things starting from 5xxx. There is no 4xxx. I do use Boot Camp, but I think that’s the Boot Camp driver itself, not the graphics. And when I go to the desktop section (That’s where I got the current thing from), it does list 4xxx but with PCIe or something, don’t know what that is about. (I just looked at all the different tabs and such there, the one I got now is the only option for me. So I got the right one. It’s the only one with HD 4xxx.)

So… what now? There still are a few problems with it. But not many.

ZeroInFo56
    Player

Edit – Ahh I see you found the right one. Chances are you aren’t going to be able to get it any better with just the AMD Drivers, you may have to look elsewhere for graphics optimization, do a little research. There is a lot you could probably do to enhance the overall performance of all areas of your PC. I am actually looking into over-clocking my CPU for a better experience while playing games, compiling code, etc.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by ZeroInFo56.
    Tigerlime
    Player

Right now I got it all set up the best I can within the Catalyst. There are still a few small problems, like the lighting around the char changes, or some back objects (maybe they didn’t load), and some kind of line while walking that makes objects light up if on one side of it. The frame rate did get better with the Triple boosting of OpenGL to around 10 frames during the night. The day is much better for me. Before it felt really jelly to walk. But it’s better now with that boost, but not perfect.

I dislike overclocking stuff on my PC. Stuff like that is too advanced for me and I’d probably break things before making things better. I prefer having a PC that lives long and does what it can than short and trying to get the best out of things.

It’s not like my PC is slow or bad, it always was able to preform well with games and such without any problems. So there never was a need to optimize things. Here and there I did upgrade drivers, but that was all. This is the most solid PC I ever had. lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.